The box set will be limited to 1500 copies, contain music from both Jim Henson's The Storyteller and Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Greek Myths, and include a 32-page booklet of exclusive interviews with the producers of the series and Academy Award winning composer Rachel Portman, as well as a collection of behind-the-scenes photographs.
The series was the brainchild of Jim Henson's eldest daughter, Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company. Lisa, who majored in folklore and mythology at Harvard, suggested they create an anthology series based on these stories.
Composer Rachel Portman had been writing music professionally for only a few years when brought on by director Steve Barron to work on the pilot. "Steve and I talked about each film having a special sound and a special voice, and some special instrument that would be part of it. I chose very carefully a different coloration for each story, what the main instrument was going to be—because I wasn't able to have very many instruments, and I wanted it to be orchestral," Portman described.
Brian Henson, who was also the series head puppeteer and is currently chairman of The Jim Henson Company) had nothing but praise for the music. "Rachel Portman gives it a timelessness. She makes the show important," he said. "She makes the stories important. There's a gravitas that comes with her music, but then also the light, lyrical melody. I think it's just beautiful scoring of fantasy."
"I felt I had real freedom to go as dark as I wanted, musically," explained Portman. "I didn't shy away from being really sad, or really dark, or really happy. I think that really matched the way the whole series was done, and the scripts. It always kind of ends in minor. I don't know why. They all come back to a sad chord at the end."
- Main Title (Extended Version) (0:41)
- Hans My Hedgehog (Suite A) (4:19)
- Hans My Hedgehog (Suite B) (6:22)
- A Story Short (Suite A) (6:50)
- A Story Short (Suite B) (5:19)
- Fearnot (Suite A) (5:27)
- Fearnot (Suite B) (6:37)
- The Luck Child (Suite A) (6:17)
- The Luck Child (Suite B) (5:09)
- The Heartless Giant (Suite A) (6:50)
- The Heartless Giant (Suite B) (6:53)
- End Title (0:34)
- Main Title with Narration (featuring John Hurt) (0:41)
- The Soldier and Death (Suite A) (5:04)
- The Soldier and Death (Suite B) (7:59)
- The True Bride (Suite A) (5:41)
- The True Bride (Suite B) (6:18)
- The Three Ravens (Suite A) (7:34)
- The Three Ravens (Suite B) (7:59)
- Sapsorrow (Suite A) (5:18)
- Sapsorrow (Suite B) (6:03)
- Main Title (Short Version) (0:37)
- Unused Bumper A (0:12)
- Unused Bumper B (0:10)
Disc III Bonus Tracks:
- The Storyteller: Greek Myths Main Titles (UK Version) (0:39)
- Theseus & The Minotaur (Suite A) (7:23)
- Theseus & The Minotaur (Suite B) (9:13)
- Perseus & The Gorgon (Suite A) (7:00)
- Perseus & The Gorgon (Suite B) (7:21)
- Daedalus & Icarus (Suite A) (6:42)
- Daedalus & Icarus (Suite B) (7:18)
- Orpheus & Eurydice (Suite A) (8:47)
- Orpheus & Eurydice (Suite B) (6:57)
- Main Titles (US Version) (0:33)
- Theseus (Suite) (1:34)
- Orpheus (Suite) (1:29)
Jim Henson's The Storyteller can be currently viewed via the STARZ app and Fathom Events Labyrinth screenings (April 29, May 1&2) will include a special theatrical The Storyteller excerpt.
The 3-CD set is now available for pre-order and will be released on April 27, 2018.