Wednesday, December 9, 2020

When Love Is FOUND!

According to an upcoming BBC interview Brian Henson not only revealed that The Muppet Christmas Carol is not only being remastered, it will include the lost song “When Love is Gone”!


As you may know when the film was being first released producer Jeffrey Katzenberg said he thought the song was too "sophisticated emotionally" and therefore children wouldn't relate to it.

"So I reluctantly agreed (to remove it) because he said: 'If you say you're not going to do it, you don't have to do it', and I was like: 'Well now, darn it, I guess I will because you want me to'," Henson said.
"The agreement was we would remove it from the theatrical release but then put it back in for all of the television and video releases from then on."
The song remained in VHS copies of the film but when when it came to DVD, Disney could only find the cinematic master.

Two weeks ago, Henson received a call from Disney telling him the film was being remastered in 4K and asking him to check the new version. 


He wasn't told on that call though that the lost piece of film had been found.
I was so excited. They actually hid it... so I went down and they said: 'But before we show it to you, we've got something else we want to show you'. And they put up reel four of Christmas Carol with When Love Is Gone.”
"I was like, 'No, you did not!' and they said, 'Yes we did! We found it!' I was so happy, I was so happy.

"They are all set with the full-length version again. I don't know if they are going to get it up on Disney Plus in time for Christmas because they have all these processes but it is coming back, the full-length version is coming back.
" 


Whether or not Disney+ will be showing the restored movie by Christmas remains unknown. 
Henson added "they can do it but they are going to have to scramble to do it in time."

The full interview can be heard in The Muppets at Christmas: It's Time To Play The Music, which will be available December 25 on BBC Radio 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment